Call for applications - 2017 Senior Indigenous Fellow
Duration: 1 May – 31 August 2017
Location: Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Indigenous Peoples and Minorities Section, Geneva - Switzerland
Deadline: 28 February 2017
The Indigenous Peoples and Minorities Section (IPMS) of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is seeking an indigenous person to fill the position of “Senior Fellow” for a duration of four months (1 May – 31 August 2017).
The Senior Indigenous Fellowship aims at giving the selected indigenous person a better understanding of the international human rights system and mechanisms, especially those dealing with indigenous issues. Through this experience, the Senior Fellow will gain practical knowledge and working level experience by directly contributing to the programmes and activities of the IPMS. Such exposure will also allow him/her to develop an extensive contact network with OHCHR staff in general, as well as other UN departments or agencies and human rights NGOs in Geneva.
The Senior Fellow is expected to return to his/her home country with an enhanced set of skills and expertise to contribute towards the promotion and protection of human rights of indigenous peoples at the national, regional or international level.
Terms of reference:
The Senior Indigenous Fellow will be working in the Indigenous Peoples and Minorities Section of OHCHR under the guidance and supervision of the Chief of Section and the Coordinator of the Indigenous Fellowship Programme and will be requested to:
- Contribute to the activities of the Section by undertaking research and analysis, participating in the organization and implementation of training activities, such as the Indigenous Fellowship Programme, providing support to the work of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and to the Voluntary Fund for Indigenous Populations.
- Perform any other activity to contribute to the work of the Section, including administrative or logistic tasks.
The candidate must be indigenous. He/she should have:
- A university degree preferably in law, political sciences, international relations or any other disciplines related to human rights.
- Basic understanding of international human rights instruments and mechanisms, including those specifically dealing with the rights of indigenous peoples.
- Minimum of four years of working experience in the field of indigenous peoples’ rights.
- He/she should be fluent in English. Other language skills including Spanish, French or Russian are highly desirable.
The candidate selected will not receive a salary but will be entitled to a monthly stipend that will cover basic living expenses in Geneva, as well as return ticket and basic health insurance. Please note that this is not a regular employment position within OHCHR and it does not lead to employment rights and entitlements beyond the terms of the fellowship.
Interested candidates should either send their scanned applications by email to: email@example.com and copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in the subject line “Application to the 2017 Senior Indigenous Fellowship” or send it by post to:
Morse Caoagas Flores
Coordinator, Indigenous Fellowship Programme
Indigenous Peoples and Minorities Section
Room 2-05, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
48, Avenue Giuseppe-Motta
CH-1211 Geneva 10
The application should include the following documents:
- A Curriculum Vitae.
- A letter of motivation (maximum 3 pages), in which the candidate will introduce himself/herself - mentioning the indigenous community he/she belongs to - explain why he/she considers himself/herself suitable for that position, what he/she hopes to achieve through this fellowship and what he/she expects to do upon return to promote indigenous rights.
- A letter of recommendation from the organization with which indigenous applicants are affiliated.
The deadline to receive applications is: 28 February 2017. Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted and interviewed. Once the selection is finalized, the name of the candidate selected will be posted on our website.