- 22 October 2020 - Participation of the Special Rapporteur in the side-event “Safeguarding the rights to freedom of religion or belief and cultural rights at a time of crisis” during the UN General Assembly, from 12:00 -1:15 pm EDT (via Zoom).
- 21 October 2020 - Participation of the Special Rapporteur in the webinar “Climate change and cultural extinction: A Human Rights Crisis” during the UN General Assembly, at 1:15pm - 2:45pm EDT / 5:15pm - 6:45pm GMT (via Zoom).
Click here to register
- 3 October 2020 –
Intervention of the Special Rapporteur for the conclusions of the conference “The 2020 Rome Charter”, organized by the city of Rome and Cities and Local Governements United (CLGU).
- 10 July 2020 –
Intervention by the Special Rapporteur “Culture is the heart of our response to COVID19”, in the panel session on “Accelerating transformation from the ground up in the post COVID19 era”, in the framework of the Local and regional governments’ day of the High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development
- 22 April 2020 -
Intervention by the Special Rapporteur in the round table "Imagine the tomorrow", thematic session on "The cultural mobilization in the COVID19 pandemic", organised in the framework of the Live Learning Experience: Beyond the Immediate Response to the Outbreak by UCLG, UN Habitat and metropolis
- 28 February 2020 - Conference by the Special Rapporteur "Defending the Right to Freedom of Artistic Expression", in the framework of the Art-at-Risk conference on "Creative work in challenging contexts", organised by artasfoundation, Zürich, Switzerland
- 17 October 2019 -
Keynote address by the Special Rapporteur "Why cultural rights matter?", for "The Hour of Freedom – Facts, Fictions and Freedom of Expression", organized in the framework of the Frankfurter Bookfair, Frankfurt, Germany
- 18 to 24 September 2019 - Official visit to Tuvalu
- 25 April 2019 – Video message of the Special Rapporteur, presented during the UNESCO International Conference on the 20th anniversary of the Second Protocol to the 1954 Hague Convention, Geneva, Switzerland
- 12 March 2019 – Opening
keynote speech by the Special Rapporteur at the 8th World Summit on Arts and Culture, organised by IFACCA, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 6 December 2018 – Presentation of the Special Rapporteur report on universality of human rights, cultural rights and cultural diversity, University of Malmö, Sweden.
- 5 December 2018 –
Statement by the Special Rapporteur on the importance of article 27 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights at the Safe Havens conference, organized as part of the Swedish Presidency of the Nordic Council of Ministers, Malmö, Sweden.
- 4 December 2018 – Keynote speech by the Special Rapporteur on the cultural rights approach to the universality of human rights and the close interrelationship between universality and cultural diversity at the Annual Seminar of the Council for Religious and Life Stance Communities entitled "What Is at Stake When Religion and Culture Bypass Human Rights & Who Pays the Prize?", Oslo, Norway.
- 24 October 2018,
Seminar on P.C. Chang and the drafting of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, New York, Colombia University
- 12- 13 September 2018 –
Keynote address of the Special Rapporteur at the Climate Heritage Mobilization, on “A Human Rights Approach to the Intersection of Climate Change and Cultural Heritage”, San Francisco, USA.
- 24 May 2018 –24 May 2018 – Conference of the Special Rapporteur on “Les droits culturels: principaux enjeux actuels dans l’ensemble des droits humains” (in French), Freiburg, Switzerland.
- 23 May 2018 - Participation of the Special Rapporteur in a symposium on “Freedom of Religion or Belief, Cultural Rights and Women: promoting a Gendered Perspective on Freedom of Thought, Conscience and Religion”, together with the Special Rapporteur on freedom of religions or belief, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 22 May 2018 - Statement by the Special Rapporteur in the first panel of the UNESCO event “Towards Access to Culture for All” (in English and French), celebrating the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, Paris, France.
- 9-11 May 2018 –
Keynote address from the Special Rapporteur in the field of cultural rights at the first Americas Culture Summit, organised by the Ministry of Culture of Argentina and the International Federation of Arts Councils and Culture Agencies (IFACCA) hosted by the Canada Council for the Arts in Ottawa, Canada.
- 8 March 2018 -
Keynote address by the Special Rapporteur in the field of cultural rights in the Symposium “Women in Culture and Science”, organised by the UNESCO Chair on Building Common Ground: Cultural Rights of the University of Copenhagen and the UNESCO division for gender equality, Paris, France.
- 22 March 2018 –
Written contribution by the Special Rapporteur to the conference “Countering Violent Extremism: European Context and the Bangladeshi Diaspora”, organised by European Bangladesh Forum as a side-event to the 37th session of the Human Rights Council, Geneva.
- 1 December 2017 - "What are cultural rights?" An interview with the Special Rapporteur in the field of cultural rights, in the series of UNESCO podcasts “Talking about culture”, Paris
- 7 July 2017 -
Keynote address from the Special Rapporteur Karima Bennoune opening the one-day intersessional seminar organised by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights on "Cultural Rights and the Protection of Cultural Heritage", Geneva, Switzerland. * for more information on the event, consult the dedicated page
- 13 May 2017 - Video address from the Special Rapporteur Karima Bennoune opening the Europa Nostra European Heritage Congress entitled "Sharing Heritage - Citizens Participation in Decision Making", Turku, Finnland.
text of the address and
programme of the event
- 10 May 2017 -
Keynote address by the Special Rapporteur Karima Bennoune opening the work of the 2nd UCLG Culture Summit on "Commitments and Actions for Culture in Sustainable Cities", Jeju, Republic of Korea.
programme of the event
- 27 April 2017 -
Expert contribution of the Special Rapporteur in the field of cultural rights to the International Criminal Court case "The Prosecutor v. Ahmad Al Faqi Al Mahdi".
16 December 2015, participation of Mrs Karima Bennoune in the launch of UNESCOs first global report on tracking the implementation of the 2005 Convention on the Diversity of Cultural Expressions
- 13-14 November 2015,
interview by Mrs. Farida Shaheed on the lessons of 6 years as mandate holder, international conference "Negotiating Cultural Rights", Copenhagen.
- 22 May 2015,
keynote speech by Ms. Farida Shaheed, International conference on the Human Right to Science: New Directions for Human Rights in Science, Bern, Switzerland
- 6 May 2015,
Video conference by Ms. Farida Shaheed, Committee on Legal Affairs of the European Parliament, Brussels, Belgium
- 18 March 2015,
Keynote Address by Ms.Farida Shaheed, UCLG Culture Summit, Culture and Sustainable cities, Bilbao, Spain -
Farida Shaheed, Reflections on culture, sustainable development and cultural rights
Special Rapporteur on Cultural Rights
Recent thematic reports
Issues in Focus
Karima Bennoune, Special Rapporteur in the field of cultural rights
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Telephone: +41 22 917 96 30
Fax: +41 22 917 90 06
Personal Twitter page of the Special Rapporteur
Subscribe to the mailing list
To subscribe to the Special Rapporteur's mailing list, please send an email to email@example.com, with the title "mailing list of the Special Rapporteur".