Intersessional Seminar on the role of good governance in the promotion and protection of human rights and best practices for implementing the SDGs
In March 2018, the Human Rights Council adopted resolution 37/6 on the role of good governance in the promotion and protection of human rights. In the resolution, the Council decided to organise a half-day intersessional seminar on the role of good governance in the promotion and protection of human rights, and on sharing best practices in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, including Goal 16.
An intersessional seminar was held on Friday 14 June 2019 at Palais des Nations.
- Human Rights Council resolution 37/6 - The role of good governance in the promotion and protection of human rights (A/HRC/RES/37/6)
- Report on the Intersessional Seminar (A/HRC/43/34)
At the seminar, participants:
- Discussed the importance of good governance for the realisation of human rights and the Sustainable Development Goals, including Goal 16
- Identified governance challenges faced by countries in realizing human rights and the Sustainable Development Goals, including Goal 16
- Shared best practices, including international cooperation, in support of good governance
- Identified challenges and share best practices for measuring good governance
- Recommended actions that might be taken by the United Nations-system, including the Human Rights Council, to support States in their efforts to strengthen good governance.
A report summarising the event was issued. It concluded that, without good governance at all levels, it will not be possible to fully realise human rights and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Goal 16 is particularly relevant in this regard, as it enshrines the commitment to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels. Measuring progress in the implementation of this Goal will therefore be crucial, also with a view to achieving the other Goals.