Fourth phase (2020-2024) of the World Programme for Human Rights Education – Resources on human rights education for youth
- New Generation, New Solutions: Young Activists Summit Teaching Kits, Geneva: dev.tv, 2021, [English] [French] [Spanish] [Arabic]
- Compass : manual on human rights education with young people Strasbourg, France: Council of Europe, 2015, [Arabic] [Bulgarian] [English] [Estonian] [French] [Russian] [Spanish] [Ukrainian]
- Global Citizenship Education: Topics and Learning Objectives UNESCO, 2015, [Arabic] [Dansk] [English] [French] [Italian] [Portuguese] [Russian] [Spanish]
- Ados ensemble : coffret pédagogique pour promouvoir la participation des jeunes et les inciter à agir contre la discrimination et pour l'intégration New York: UNICEF, 2004, [French]
- I am here : teaching about refugees, identity, inclusion and the media : a citizenship/personal, social and health education resource pack for teachers, youth workers and others working with 11 to 14-years-olds London: Save the Children, 2004, [English]
- What? me? a racist? Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 1998, [English] [French] [Italian] [Portuguese]
- Domino : a manual to use peer group education as a means to fight racism, xenophobia, anti-semitism and intolerance Strasbourg, France: Council of Europe, 1996, [English] [French]
- Living in diversity : lesson plans for secondary levels students Strasbourg, France: Council of Europe Publ., 2010, [English]
- What about Doug's rights? Sydney, Australia: Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, s.d, 2010, [English]
- Promoting racial integration through co-curricular activities : EIU experiental learning programme 2006 Seoul: APCEIU, 2006, [English]
- Lifting the spirit : human rights and freedom of religion or belief : topic book 5 Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota. Human Rights Resource Center, 2004, [English]
- Human rights education : discrimination (caste, religions, race, language, gender, place of birth) : students module. Part III Madurai, India: Institute of Human Rights Education, 2004, [English] [Kanada] [Malayalam] [Oriya] [Tamil]
- September 11th crisis response guide : human rights education program for junior high and high schools / compiled and written by Nick Sullivan New York: Amnesty International USA, 2001, [English]
- Beyond heroes and holidays : a practical guide to K-12 anti-racist, multicultural education and staff development / edited by Enid Lee Washington: Network of Educators on the Americas, 1998, [English]
- All human beings...: a manual for human rights education, UNESCO 1998, [Albanian] [Arabic] [English] [French] [Portuguese]
- Free to speak : a manual for teaching about human rights in the English language classroom / edited by Melissa Myers Kraków: Human Rights Centre, 1998, [English]
- Young people facing difference : some proposals for teachers / Michael Byram Strasbourg, France: Council of Europe, 1995, [English] [French]
- The prejudice book : activities for the classroom / David A. Shiman New York: Anti-Defamation League, 1994, [English]
- Tolerance for diversity of beliefs : a secondary curriculum unit / Patricia Avery, Dorothy Hoffman Boulder, CO: Social Science Education Consortium, 1993, [English]
- We : lessons on equal worth and dignity, the United Nations, and human rights : upper elementary and middle school / by RoAnne Elliott Minneapolis, MN: UN Association of Minnesota, 1992, [English]
- Human rights education in action : practices of human rights education with and by young people / edited by Nik Paddison Council of Europe, 2017, [English]
- Bookmarks / a manual for combating hate speech online through human rights education / written and edited by Ellie Keen, Mara Georgescu ; final e[...] Strasbourg, France: Council of Europe Publ., 2014, [English] [French]
- Companion : a campaign guide about education and learning for change in diversity, human rights and participation / edited and co-written by Ellie Keen Strasbourg, France: Council of Europe Publ., 2007, [English]
- Le racisme expliqué à ma fille / Tahar Ben Jelloun Paris: Editions du Seuil, 1999, [French]
- All different, all equal : education pack : ideas resources methods and activities for informal intercultural education with young people and adults Strasbourg, France: Council of Europe, 1995, [English] [French]
Studies and articles
- Ahmed, A. K. (2017). Disrupting power/entrenching sovereignty: The paradox of human rights education. In : PROSPECTS, 47(1-2), [English]
- Ahmed, A. K. (2018). Bridging the 'values gap': Human rights education, ideology, and the global-local nexus. In : Critical human rights, citizenship and democracy education, [English]
- Bajaj, M. (2012). Schooling for Social Change: The Rise and Impact of Human Rights Education in India. Bloomsbury Publishing USA, [English]
- Bajaj, M. (2015). 'Pedagogies of resistance' and critical peace education praxis. In : Journal of Peace Education, 12(2), [English]
- Flowers, N. (2017). Afterword. In : Human Rights Education: Theory, Research, Praxis, [English]
- Hantzopoulos, M. (2016). Restoring dignity in public schools: Human rights education in action. New York, NY: Teachers College Press, [English]
- Keet, A. (2017). Does Human Rights Education Exist?. In : International Journal of Human Rights Education, 1(1), [English]
- Meyer, J. W., Bromley, P., & Ramirez, F. O. (2010). Human rights in social science textbooks cross-national analyses, 1970–2008. In : Sociology of Education, 83(2), [English]
- Osler, A. (2016). Human rights and schooling: An ethical framework for teaching for social justice. Teachers College Press, [English]
- Ramirez, F. O., Suárez, D., & Meyer, J. W. (2007). The worldwide rise of human rights education. In : School knowledge in comparative and historical perspective (pp. 35-52), [English]
- Russell, S. G., & Suárez, D. F. (2017). Symbol and substance: Human rights education as an emergent global institution. In : Human Rights Education: Theory, Research, Praxis, [English]
- Sikkink, K. (2017). Evidence for hope: making human rights work in the 21st century. Princeton University Press, [English]
- Sirota, S. (2017). The inconsistent past and uncertain future of human rights education in the United States. In : PROSPECTS. 47(1-2), [English]
- Suárez, D. (2007). Education Professionals and the Construction of Human Rights Education. In : Comparative Education Review, 51(1), [English]
- Suárez, D., & Bromley, P. (2012). Professionalizing a global social movement: Universities and human rights. In : American Journal of Education, 118(3), [English]
- Tibbitts, F. L. (2016). Women's human rights education trainers in Turkey: situated empowerment for social change. In : Journal of peace education, 13(1), [English]
- Tibbitts, F. (2017). Evolution of human rights education models. In : Human rights education: Theory, research, praxis, [English]
- Tibbitts, F.L., (2018). Contested Universalism and Human Rights Education: Can There Be a Deliberative Hybrid Solution for Schooling? In : Critical Human Rights, Citizenship, and Democracy Education: Entanglements and Regenerations, [English]
- Zembylas, M. (2017a). Emotions, Critical Pedagogy, and Human Rights Education. Human Rights Education: Theory, Research, Praxis. Zembylas, M. (2017b). Re-contextualising human rights education: some decolonial strategies and pedagogical/curricular possibilities. In : Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 25(4), [English]
- Zembylas, M., (2018). Toward a Decolonizing Approach in Human Rights Education: Pedagogical Openings and Curricular Possibilities. In : Critical Human Rights, Citizenship, and Democracy Education: Entanglements and Regenerations, [English]
UN Documents and Reports
Doha Declaration on Integrating Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice into the Wider United Nations Agenda to Address Social and Economic Challenges and to Promote the Rule of Law at the National and International Levels, and Public Participation (2015). The 13th United Nations Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice, 12-19 April 2015.
Education 2030: Incheon Declaration and Framework for Action (2016). Adopted 4 November 2015.
Global Citizenship Education in Latin America and the Caribbean: "Towards a world without walls: global citizenship education in the SDG 4 – E2030 Agenda" (2017). OREALC/2018/RP/H/1. UNESCO Office Santiago and Regional Bureau for Education in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Report E2030: Education and skills for the 21st Century (2017): Regional Meeting of Ministers of Education of Latin America and the Caribbean, Buenos Aires, Argentina, January 24-25, 2017.
Report of the Secretary-General Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism (2015). A/70/674, 24 December 2015.
Rethinking Education: Towards a global common good? (2015). Published by UNESCO.
UNESCO Operational Strategy on Youth 2014 – 2021 (2014). SHS.2014/WS/1.
UNESCO SHS "Strategy on African Youth: Towards an Enabling Policy Environment for Youth Development and Civic Engagement in Africa (2009 – 2013)". (184/Ex/INF.11) (2010) Paris, 7 April 2010
UNFPA Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development (1994). Adopted in Cairo, 5-13 September 1994.
World Program of Action for Youth (1995). Adopted by the General Assembly in 1995.
Youth and Human Rights – Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (2018) A/HRC/39/33 (28 June 2018).
Youth Strategy - Youth 2030: Working with and for Young People (2018). Launched Monday, 24th September 2018 at a High-Level Event at the United Nations in New York.
A compilation of provisions of international and regional instruments dealing with human rights education is available
More resources are also available at the
OHCHR Library catalogue.
Video resources on inspiring young human rights activists/champions are available on the
In this section